The mattress industry provides consumers with the comfortable and affordable products they need to enjoy a safe and restful night’s sleep. ISPA members recognize that manufacturers have a responsibility to take environmentally sound and economically practical actions to improve the long-term sustainability of their business operations. This begins with the materials sourcing process, and proceeds through the manufacturing, assembly, distribution and used product disposal phases.
ISPA has a strong tradition of environmental responsibility and has taken a leadership role in encouraging the development of legitimate mattress recycling legislation. ISPA works diligently to support efficient industry- and consumer-friendly mattress recycling alternatives. Mattress recycling is an important issue for our industry and ISPA does its part to develop a practical system for used mattress recycling that protects the industry from potentially damaging costs and inefficiencies that will result as multiple states pursue their own stand-alone legislation.
Specific actions individual companies and ISPA are taking include:
- Using materials that are safe for our employees, consumers and the environment
- Conserving resources and reducing solid waste by recycling scrap, byproducts and packing materials generated at the mattress manufacturing and assembly stages
- Working with regulators, retailers and large mattress purchasers to encourage the responsible and hygienic disposal of used mattresses
- Reducing solid waste by partnering with private enterprises, government and charitable organizations to promote the economic viability of businesses that dismantle used mattresses and recycle their components
- Developing and using mattress components made from renewable resources and recycled materials